Oh wow, now where did I leave off (photos)

To start with I actually tried to write this post yesterday on my time off but inadvertently deleted all of my photos off my camera from this trip so far and from my VanLife adventure last summer and spent the next few hours figuring out how to recover the pictures, which I managed to do with the exception of 3 or 4 which corrupted along the way. If there are any techy people out there that know how to fix a corrupted photo you would be my hero if you can show me how to get those ones back too.

Welcome to Panagiouda!
The first 2 photos are from my nice long relaxing walk along the seawall my first day off. I needed groceries so went for a bit of a journey on foot and really got to take in some of this beautiful town. Panagiouda is about the size of Choiceland but its also something like 600 years old and everything is made of beautiful stone. Even the side walks are stone, lol and potentially 600 years old judging by their condition in some spots but it was still a great walk. The latter 2 shots are the larger town of Mytilene a hopping little tourist/university town with FABULOUS gelato (#DaveLife on Insta for proof).

Walking along the sea wall
It's been a looooong week cannot believe its actually only been a week that I have been here as I write this. But it has also been incredible. The people we interact with have been through so much it is an honour to serve and try and make their time here a bit more comfortable. Most of the migrants and refugees who are here expected to only be here a couple days, many of those have been here 6 months or more, waiting to move on.

Panagiouda from across the bay
My time on camp these past couple days has been spent in an area called the Olive Grove. Technically outside of the camp it houses many of the refugees from African countries. It makes me miss my crew back at Matthew House as many are from the same countries Burundi/Congo etc. It also gives me the chance to work on my French though they speak way to fast and with way to thick of an accent for me to really catch what they are saying. Ha!

Mytilene
One of my roles has also been as driver, which has been an adventure of its own. The Greeks they drive aggressive thats for sure and the streets don't exactly line up in straight lines like back in good ole SK haha, combine that with a serious lack of street signs and a phone whose GPS is outta whack and oh boi! It's been a bit of a gong show at points. Now at least I have a local SIM though and getting more and more used to the streets by the day.

Mytilene

I also had a day off but it was rainy and my chest cold told me to be lazy so it didn't hold much adventure unfortunately. I do feel a heck of a lot better though. Oh and we had a little bible study thing last night too for the EuroRelief staff.  Was great to spend some time with people outside of the camp setting where there is a lot more ability to relax and honestly converse. It's a really good crew that they have going here. PLUG MOMENT: If you or someone you know wants to get deeper involved with whats happening here check them out by clicking here

Anyways I finally have my hot water fixed so I am about to check out for the night. 

Ciao till next time

D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thailand Adventures

Malaysia - Dave Life Squared